Christmas at Waddesdon
• Saturday 14 November 2020 - Sunday 3 January 2021
• Wednesday - Sunday, 12noon – 7.30pm
• Also open on Mondays 21 and 28 December and Tuesdays 22 and 29 December
• The whole property is closed 24 - 26 December 2020
• Last admission 6pm, last bus to the car park 7.30pm
• Saturday 14 November - Wednesday 23 December 2020
• Wednesday - Sunday, 12noon – 7pm
• Also open on Monday 21 and Tuesday 22 December
• Last admission 6pm, last bus to the car park 7.30pm
• Thursday 7 - Sunday 31 January 2021
• Thursday - Saturday, 4 - 10pm (Sunday 4 - 8pm)
• Last admission 9pm, last bus to the car park 10.30pm (7pm and 8.30pm on Sunday)
House and wine cellars - Closed
Ticket prices include admission to the Christmas Fair and Winter Light trail.
Grounds admission - Weekdays (off-peak)
• £16 Adult, £8 Child,
• £40 Family (up to 2 adults + 3 children)
• National Trust: £5 Adult, £2.50 Child
Grounds admission - Weekends (peak)
• £18.50 Adult, £9.25 Child,
• £46.25 Family (up to 2 adults + 3 children)
• National Trust: £7.50 Adult, £3.75 Child
• £1.50 Adult, 75p Child
• Free for infants under-5, Blue Badge holders and registered carer - but tickets must be booked due to limited capacities on the buses
• Wheelchair, mobility scooters, pushchairs and buggies will be carried free but must be booked, due to limited capacities on the buses
£5 adults/£2.50 child weekday (off-peak) and £7.50 adult/£3.75 child weekends (peak), applies to all tickets bookings, including National Trust members and other concession bookings.
This modest charge will help cover the investment in our Christmas and Winter Light event this year and as a 'thank you' for your understanding that everything has to be a little different this year, we will be giving every visitor a £5 adult/£2.50 child/£7.50 family voucher to redeem in Waddesdon's on site catering or retail outlets during your visit.
Limited number of spaces in the private car park at the top of the hill behind the North Fountain must be booked with your Grounds admission (see map)
• £15 per car
Transaction and handling fees
See Tickets, our ticket partner, has to charge a little bit on top of the ticket face value, which is set by Waddesdon, to cover its costs, this appears in the booking journey as an inclusive cost of ticket face value and booking fee. The transaction/delivery fee is set at £1 per booking, regardless of number of tickets booked in that transaction. These are itemised in your confirmation email.
Redeeming your voucher
• Vouchers must be presented along with a valid entry ticket for that day
• Vouchers must be scanned in our shops/cafes at the time of purchase
• No minimum spend, vouchers can only be used once
• Vouchers cannot be used with traders in the Christmas market
Vouchers have no cash value and no change will be given
• All unredeemed vouchers will be regarded as donations to support care of the gardens and collections at Waddesdon
If you have a query relating to your ticket, please visit SeeTickets Customer Service here.
Please note, Waddesdon or the National Trust are unable to help with ticket enquiries.
How to book
All grounds admissions, bus tickets and premium parking spaces must be pre-booked online for all visitors. All visitors must have their own valid tickets, which must be produced, along with any valid National Trust, Art Fund, RHS, HHA or local residents' membership card, to gain entry to the event.
• National Trust, Art Fund, HHA and RHS members, and local resident pass holders must also pre-book by selecting Concessions on the ticket page where discounts will be shown if applicable
• Free tickets for toddlers and under-5s must also be booked to avoid overcrowding
• Select the hour-long slot for your time of arrival, (eg 1pm for arrival 1-2pm).
• Tickets will not be on sale at Waddesdon. Anyone arriving without a booking will unfortunately be turned away
Hour-long arrival timeslots are to ensure visitor arrivals are spread throughout the day. Your ticket is valid for the hour of your arrival, eg arriving between 1.00-1.59pm for a 1pm timeslot. Please do not arrive early, as you will not be able to enter early. Our team on the ground will do their best to accommodate late arrivals.
Rule of Six
Visitors are reminded that the law now stipulates that visitors may only visit or interact in a group of up to six people outdoors (unless visiting in a household or support bubble which is larger than 6). Please do not make arrangements to meet others at Waddesdon which will exceed this 'Rule of 6'.
Tickets and scanning
After purchasing your tickets online, you will receive a confirmation email from See Tickets with your entry tickets attached as a PDF.
Having printed tickets to scan on arrival speeds up admission. If you have no ability to print, please have your PDF tickets open on your mobile phone or tablet when you arrive. It is advisable to pre-download your tickets or take a photo of each of them, as signal onsite fluctuates. All tickets for your party will be in the same attachment; we suggest you all enter at the same time. The ticket barcodes are unique, so if you can't arrive together please separate them carefully as any duplicated barcode will not be valid for admission.
We don't authorise, or have any control over, the sale of tickets via third-party websites. Our tickets may not be resold.
Can't find your tickets?
Remember to check your Junk/Spam inbox. If you can't find them, you can get them resent by completing the Customer Service form here.
If you have a query relating to your ticket, please visit here.
Please note, Waddesdon or the National Trust are unable to help with ticket enquiries.
Cancellation, exchanges, and refunds
Please be sure that you have chosen the right date and time slot at the time of making your booking, as Waddesdon and See Tickets are not able to offer exchanges or refunds once tickets have been purchased. We are also not able to offer refunds/duplicates on unwanted/lost tickets.
Methods of Transport
(Information correct at the time of publication)
If you arrive by bike you may park it in the covered bike racks in the Visitor Car Park, Premium Parking Car Park or behind the Stables. You will need to have your pre-booked ticket ready on your mobile device or on paper to be scanned at the gates.
There are 10 e-bikes available to hire each day on an unreserved basis, these are located in the visitor car park by the Welcome Pavilion, and can be hired on a per hour basis. Hourly charging rates and booking details will be announced shortly here.
Your pre-booked tickets will be checked at the gate about 5 minutes walk along the wood chip path. If you have pre-booked shuttle bus tickets please go to the Welcome Pavilion in the car park where you tickets will be scanned.
Journey times vary depending on traffic and road conditions, approximate travel times are:
From London (1-1.5 hours)
M40 Junction 7 towards Thame, via Long Crendon and Upper Winchendon
From Birmingham (1-1.5 hours)
M40 Junction 9 and take the A34 via Bicester, then follow A41 towards Aylesbury
From Oxford (30 mins)
A34 towards Bicester, then follow A41 towards Aylesbury
From Milton Keynes (45 mins)
A5 towards Dunstable, then A4146 via Leighton Buzzard to Aylesbury. Finally A41 towards Bicester
Parking & shuttle buses
The 1,000-space visitor car park is free and has dedicated places for Blue Badge holders and family parking. Pre-booked tickets are required for the shuttle bus due to limited capacities you may not be able to use the bus without a ticket bought in advance. You may also walk from the visitor car park to the Manor. This takes around 25 minutes and is on a woodchip path, which is steep in places and not suitable for all wheelchairs or pushchairs because of the surface. Your tickets will be scanned at the gate about 5 minutes walk from the car park. Please have them ready to be checked.
Premium Parking is available at the top of the hill £15 per car. Premium Parking must be pre-booked along with Grounds admission.
We have four spaces in the visitor car park signposted for the purpose of electric vehicle charging. Spaces are suitable for a 16A EV Type 2 charging socket and are free of charge and on an unreserved basis, please ask a team member at the bus stop in order to use this service.
More about ways of getting to Waddesdon here.
Please do not visit if a member of your household has had any Covid-19 symptoms in the last 14 days.
Parking & buses
Please select one of the parking, bus or walking options when you book online. Each bus has limited capacity and there will not be space for every visitor, so bus tickets must be booked in advance and if possible printed out for scanning.
• Walking to the Manor takes about 25 mins from the car park, along a woodchip path which has a steep section
• Premium Parking spaces in the private car park at the top of the hill can be booked online, £15 per car
• Bus tickets £1.50 Adult / £75p Child should be booked online with your admission tickets
• Bus tickets are valid for all journeys made on the day of your visit
• Blue Badge parking is available in the free visitor car park
• Blue Badge holders and their carer must each book a bus ticket (free of charge)
• Children under-5 travel free on buses but must have a seat booked for them
• Face coverings must be worn on buses
Christmas and Winter Light at Waddesdon are presented in the natural landscape and Waddesdon is on a hill. Most visitors will walk from the car park along a wood chip path, which includes steep sections. This path may not be suitable for all pushchairs and buggies.
• The Winter Light trail around the Pleasure Grounds is almost all on flat and tarmac surfaces
• The When You Wish Upon a Star trail down Miss Alice's Drive between the Woodland Café and the Stables has an unfinished surface and steep gradients which may not be suitable for all mobility requirements
• Wheelchairs are available to borrow on a first come first served basis, these cannot be reserved
Pre-booking a Premium parking space or shuttle bus tickets at the time of booking admission tickets is recommended for those who might find the walk difficult. It is unlikely that there will be availability to book these on the day.
These are outdoor experiences, so we advise all visitors to wear suitably warm clothing and waterproof footwear as it is quite exposed at the top of the hill there is limited shelter should it rain.
Well-behaved dogs on short leads are welcome in most outdoor areas. Please check on the map, which indicates areas like the Aviary and formal Parterre gardens where dogs are not permitted.
It can get crowded at peak times and there are lots of lights, cables and speakers at doggy level, which may cause your dog distress. We would suggest that the experience at Christmas might not be suitable for your four legged friends. However, if leaving them behind is not an option then please see ...
Christmas Afternoon Teas (Adult £28, Child £15.50 + booking fee) pre-booked only
Winter Light Dinner (Adult only, £42 + booking fee) pre-booked only
Unfortunately, the Manor Restaurant is not open for other meals or refreshments.
Please scan the QR code in the restaurant to meet NHS Test & Trace requirements and wear a face covering until seated and eating.
Food & drink
Festive, seasonal take-way hot and cold food is available 12noon-7pm until 3 January, and until 9pm from 7-31 January.
Your redeemable voucher may be used at these Waddesdon catering outlets.
Unfortunately, on the advice of our safety officer we are only allowed to offer limited seating outside the Woodland Café and Treaterie at the Stables. If you use this seating please scan in the QR code on the table for NHS Test & Trace. We are not allowed to offer seating in the Manor Courtyard near the Coffee Bar due to social distancing, but there is seating across the gardens, which you are welcome to use.
There will be a variety of independent street food traders with food to eat on site, at the Christmas Fair, which is open until 7pm each day (until Wednesday 23 December).
Waddesdon has gone cashless to help prevent the transmission of coronavirus. Please use a card for all payments at Waddesdon's own outlets and stalls at the Christmas Fair.
What to wear and bring
This is an outdoor event and there is very limited shelter. Due to Covid safety measures we are unable to offer indoor shelter and ask visitors to please ensure you wear appropriate warm, waterproof clothing and footwear.
Please bring hand sanitiser and a face covering with you (unless you are medically exempt or under 11 years of age). Face coverings must be worn on the shuttle buses, at the Christmas Fair, Parallels - light in motion installation in the Coach House, in the Manor Restaurant, shop, toilets, food-to-go outlets and all indoor spaces
Lighting may be low level in some areas in the grounds, so you may wish to bring a torch.
• Toilets are open (including at the Welcome Pavilion). We have not been able to adapt the spacing in all toilets, so please use hand sanitiser before entering and be considerate of others by keeping your distance
• The Changing Places accessible toilet within the Manor is available for those who need it. Please ask a member of shop staff to assist you
• Face coverings must be worn on the shuttle buses, at the Christmas Fair, Parallels - light in motion installation in the Coach
House, in the shops, toilets, food-to-go outlets and all indoor spaces
• Please bring a face covering with you (unless you are medically exempt or under 11 years of age)
• Please wash you hands before and during your visit. We encourage you to also bring your own hand sanitiser
• Hand sanitiser is provided in both the upper and lower playground areas
• Drinking water taps are provided near the Woodland Café, Coffee Bar and at the Stables
We encourage you to take photos on your visit and share them on social media with #ChristmasAtWaddesdon.
We occasionally use photographs for promotional purposes. If there is photography taking place on the day of your visit there will be signs to notify you and your permission will be sought before taking your photograph.
Come along knowing that the safety and wellbeing of our visitors is of the upmost importance to us and we are continually monitoring and responding to the Covid-19 pandemic situation as it evolves.
On your visit to Christmas or Winter Light at Waddesdon we will need you to do things differently to help us to stay open safely:
Please do not visit if a member of your household has had any Covid-19 symptoms in the last 14 days
Check the Covid alert level and ensure your visit adheres to the rules associated with the for where you livePlease scan the NHS Test & Trace QR code on arrival and when seated in the Manor Restaurant or sat outside the food to go outlets.
Rule of 6 - the law stipulates that you may only visit or interact in a group of up to six people (unless visiting in a household or support bubble which is larger than 6). Please do not make arrangements to meet others at Waddesdon which will exceed the 'Rule of 6'
Follow any instructional signage indicating social distance spacing, one-way routes around the light trails etc
Bring a face covering with you and wear it on shuttle buses, at the Christmas Fair, and in all indoor places including the restaurant, Parallels installation, toilets and shop (unless you are exempt)
Wash your hands before visiting and during your visit. Please bring hand sansitiser with you.
Plans in place for the comfort and reassurance of our visitors include:
• Arrival time slots to manage visitor capacities and stagger arrivals
• Later opening and extra time slots to manage visitor flow
• Revised walking routes to avoid crowding
• One way route through Winter Light trail to manage visitor flow
• Monitoring the visitor flow around the Christmas Fair
• Additional cleaning across the grounds each day and evening
• Additional screens and staff visors in the shops and food-to-go outlets
• Face coverings will be worn by all staff in visitor-facing roles and traders in the Christmas Fair
• Hand sanitiser stations are available outside toilets, the shop, outside cafes and at the Woodland Playground
We will continue to monitor and review procedures.
Visitors should note that:
• Food-to-go will be available from the Woodland café (with some outdoor seating), Treaterie at the Stables (with some outdoor seating) and the Manor terrace coffee bar. Your redeemable voucher may be used at these Waddesdon catering outlets.
• Face coverings must be worn when purchasing from our food-to-go outlets
• Unfortunately, Covid-19 precautions prevent us from offering seating outside close to our other food outlets, including the Manor courtyard
• Indoor catering in the Manor Restaurant is limited to pre-booked Christmas Afternoon Teas and Winter Light Dinners. The Stables Café will not be open and there will be no availability for restaurant bookings on the day
• Face coverings must be word in the Manor Restaurant until seated and eating/drinking
NHS Test and Trace
We have a responsibility to share your contact details with the NHS Test and Trace service if required, as a result of someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 having listed Waddesdon as a place they recently visited, or because Waddesdon has been identified as the location of a local outbreak of COVID-19. NHS Test and Trace provide assurance that they will only ever use the data provided to them for this specific public health purpose, and that they will handle the data in line with the highest ethical and security standards. You may opt out of this arrangement by ticking the opt out box at the end of the booking journey.
If Christmas at Waddesdon is for any reason cancelled, you will be notified and offered an alternative date, if available, or a refund. For full details see (insert link here to revised FAQ page Cancellations, exchanges and refunds)
Waddesdon and SeeTickets are not able to offer exchanges or refunds once tickets have been purchased. We are also not able to offer refunds/duplicates on unwanted/lost tickets.
Bad weather or safety cancellation
Inevitably bad weather can affect any open-air event. If we have to cancel the event as it is unsafe to proceed (for example high wind, heavy snowfall or icy conditions), visitors will be offered an alternative date. No refunds will be offered simply if the weather is inclement. Any decision to cancel the event will be taken by 9am on the day of an event. If the event is cancelled by Waddesdon due to weather and visitors are not able to attend an alternative date offered, then a refund will be considered on a case by case basis. Where a refund is due, the original ticket must be returned within 28 days of the event due date.
Closure or lockdown closing Waddesdon
If Government or local authority safety advice changes and requires Waddesdon to close for a short period in order to contain coronavirus, all visitors with booked tickets for the period of planned closure, will be contacted by SeeTickets, offered an alternative visit date where possible, or an automatic refund if and alternative date is not possible.
Coronavirus regulations where you live
If the latest Government guidance restricts you from visiting Waddesdon you can request a refund directly from our ticketing partners SeeTickets customer service.
Note: All refunds must be requested at least 48 hours before the day of your booked visit, unless the Government advice changes in those 48 hours and applies immediately. Refunds should be requested through the SeeTickets customer service form quoting your order number.
If you are ill or instructed to self-isolate
If you are currently ill and have a positive Covid-19 test result or are isolating waiting for test results in the 14 days up to your booked visit. Please send a screenshot or forward your positive Covid test result or NHS Test & Trace instruction to self-isolate with your order number to SeeTickets customer service.
Please note that the National Trust and Waddesdon staff are unable to arrange refunds.